Pages

9/21/13

Hands and Feet go both ways.

I was trying to convey some of my background and had a hard time doing so. I thought this letter format would help. A letter "to me", from "Reflections of my past".... 

Dear Stacey's mom,

I've watched you for a while now. Since you were in elementary school actually. Remember your neighbor Suzanne down the street that had special needs? You never did learn what her story was, but you knew she was different. You played with her in a big box from a new fridge. She thought she was a lion. She would even answer you in roars. You invited her over to swim and her mom was so excited because she'd never been invited anywhere before. She peed in the pool and then told you. You just told her to let you know next time and you'd help her use the bathroom instead. You were totally grossed out but you just suggested hopscotch as the next activity.

I saw you love her unconditionally, even though you didn't understand her behavior.

Remember Lisa in Jr. High? She walked with a very difficult gait. She was slow moving and was often left behind. She was very smart but her body just didn't work right. You thought she'd enjoy a movie and had your mom take you both to see Annie. You learned Lisa could really sing and had a passion for it.

You showed her acceptance at a very difficult stage in life.

You've always loved Disneyland and I saw you take a group of disabled adults when you were in high school. Your small hundred pound frame pushed a grown man with cerebral palsy around in his wheelchair all day. You wiped his drool when he got so excited. You didn't flinch when he insisted on a huge cheeseburger that you had to feed him one bite at a time. I saw you quietly eat your cold burger when he was finally done with his.

You gave him so much joy!

I saw you skip lunch with friends so you could check out Joni Eareckson Tada's new van.  I watched you skip youth group to work in the class for adults with special needs at church.

I saw you feel at home there.

When you moved to the Antelope Valley and looked for work, you were drawn to Desert Haven. They were very concerned with your (lack of) education in the field. In the interview you told the head of your department that you had hands-on education and felt nothing like that could be gained from a textbook. She gave you a chance and you became one of their best job coaches. You were a natural with the consumers there and loved the atmosphere.


Looking back over your life, I can see how God was preparing you to be Stacey's mom. Even the day you received the news and your world as a mom was up-heaved, and you were afraid; you didn't doubt your ability to be her mom. You knew God would bring people into your life to walk the road with you, just as He had placed you in the lives of others. 

I know it hasn't been easy, and I know you have seasons of ups and downs, but I know you see the blessings and I know you feel blessed to be her Mom. 

Sincerely,
Reflections from your past

****This song is a favorite of mine. It is exactly how I feel when others step up to help with Stacey and love on her. Even those who don't share my faith can be used by Him and I'm honored to receive the gift He gives through the hands and feet, and time and love, of those He puts in my path.

Is there something in your life that you can now see God had prepared you for?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Shannon. It's neat to see how God prepares us for things that we don't even know about until years later. Love the creative way you shared this too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are cyber High Fives! :-)