Pages

9/14/13

The high-school dilemma

This is either the most sane, or the most insane decision we've ever made! 

We decided to home-school Stacey for 9th grade!

I can't possibly tell you the entire process of this decision. It took us over a year to commit to it! 

A few of the deal makers (or breakers depending on where you sit) were things like the classroom layout. Some were so crowded, some were boring and clinical, others were smelly and depressing. 

Since she is still in diapers the set-up for that was super important. Seriously, do YOU want to be changed or sit on that toilet?  Do you see that grime??? That was AFTER I mentioned it and returned a month later to see the "improved" area. UHM.... The counter was slimy, the toilet... ew. No paper for the changing table... the lady said she "thinks they have a disinfectant spray". Uhm. ok, you let me spray a toxin for you to lay your naked butt in... yaaa. NO.
Oh, and did I mention there is no window, and it takes a key to get in and they don't run the AC or heater in there?! So what happens if she has an emergency in there? And, where is the accountability to the person who takes her in that private room. She's non-verbal. Get it?

OK breathe Shannon. Breeeeaaathhhh.  oi. 

Aside from that, I spoke to other parents and few are happy. Then I spoke to regular ed students  and several mentioned things about the special ed program that concerned me. One student told me that they pick up trash on the quad after the regular ed lunch break. Holy smokes my girl isn't going to pick up after them in the name of "work experience"!  I also heard from many kids that there isn't a special ed class on their campus... sooo are they integrating or being hid? Some campus' have the special ed class in theeee farthest corner, away from it all. hm... no thank you.

Learning at home! Don't mind the wild hair! That's the result of her grumpy gills attitude! She thinks taking her hair bows out will scare her teacher away! haha!!
The clincher for me was when I spoke to the CEO of a company in our community that places adults with special needs in jobs and work crews around the community. She explained to me how the young adults coming from the high school program are greatly lacking in the necessary skills and behaviors to do the work.  

Well there ya have it. She needs to be prepared for the future. If the school isn't doing it for others, I feel it would be foolish to expect that they would for her. 

I'm not new to home schooling. I've graduated two already and have two more still home. I've been at it for 16 years. I've technically been teaching Stacey her whole life and feel confident I know her best. 

Am I scared? YEP! But I'd worry if I wasn't! The fear of failing her weighs heavy. It's a great motivator! 

The biggest hurdle for this is financial. Buying materials, paying for the neuro-development program, funding field trips, special supplies and tools, and hired help so I don't go completely crazy adds up. Breathe.... God is able. 


 
"God doesn't call the able, he enables the called."
Joni
Eareckson Tada 


                                                                               





                                                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are cyber High Fives! :-)